Looking at the present scenario of the virtual world, there has been a growing demand for full-stack developers. You might be wondering why a company or organization would require a full stack developer. Well, with transient technology and ever-growing hunger for new and better things, organizations like to hire full-stack development professionals.
What is a Full Stack Development professional?
A full-stack development professional is the one who is having sound technical knowledge of each and every aspect of development – front end, back end, various operating systems among other details of the technology. These people are usually termed as “developer generalists”. The significant thing to be noted here is that full-stack developers should not be confused with senior developers.
In nutshell, this stack of developers can create any complex application from scratch, provided they would have understood how each technical layer should interact with the other.
Why Full Stack Development?
At the beginning of this post, we have mentioned about a query that had instantly popped in the mind – why would a company require full-stack development professional. Here’s the answer:
1. Creation of unique code
The developer or the agency would be able to create a unique code for multiple technologies; as they could work with various kinds of software tools that are complex as well as simple. This would give an extra edge to the company or organization opting for full-stack development.
2. Multiple technologies for wonderful user experience
A full-stack development professional would be proficient in numerous programs like JS, HTML, PHP, CSS, etc. among many others. H/she would be proficient to work with all these programs and incorporate well into the site design. It would be an add-on to the capabilities of the full-stack developer if he/she knows how to work with animation and graphics. Some professionals would also be able to convert complex Photoshop designs to front end code. This will reduce the dependency of the organization on various technical professionals, thereby, enhancing their business efficiency.
What are the basic requirements to be a full stack developer?
- To create and use APIs
- To write backend code in Ruby, Python/ Java, PHP
- To know about working with infrastructure including hardware and OS
- Solve and understand queries related to databases
- Manage Project and coordinate with the Client
Technologies that a Full Stack Developer must know:
1. HTML/ CSS
- The first thing to be learned in becoming a web developer is HTML and CSS. These are the basic building blocks to design and develop websites. It enables you to add content and styles to your project site.
- It is a very popular technology which is unveiling innovations quite frequently. Every year some new tools and frameworks get released. Hence, a strong knowledge of JS would be an added advantage. Also, knowledge of JS frameworks like Angular JS and React JS, and jQuery would allow the full stack developers to write long codes easily.
3. Programming languages:
- After strengthening frontend concepts, try gaining a strong foothold in backend languages like Java, PHP, .Net, etc. This will allow you to handle the logic required for building applications, user authentication, and other operations for data management. Whichever language is chosen, ensure to be thorough with all its nuances.
4. Storage and Database:
- After learning the programming languages, learn a database management language such as My SQL/MS SQL. Gain knowledge about how to connect a backend language to the database. Also, this will make you aware of how to store cookies, sessions, and cached data.
5. REST API and HTTP
- Understand various protocols such as HTTP, which facilitates communication between client and server. Moreover, one of the significant trending terms – RESTful web services must also be known to you. REST provides interoperability between computers and the internet. It would be an ad – on if the knowledge of Chrome DevTools and SSL certificates is also acquired.
6. Learning Architecture details:
- A full-stack web application developer must know the architecture of a web application. It would allow him/her to figure out the structure of the code, the type of data that needs to be structured, where and how to perform sundry computational tasks. This would help in developing complex applications.
7. Version control or Debugging:
- A version control system is a component of software configuration management, which allows you to manage the changes that you make in the documents, computer programs, large websites, etc. The changes are usually identified by a number of letter codes such as ‘revision level or the number’. It requires a Full Stack Developer to be well versed with a version control system. Further, an understanding of GIT will help you in tracking the changes made to the codebase.
Full Stack Web Development is an ushering technology gradually unfolding new innovations. Concisely, this process involves three layers – Presentation, Business Logic, and Database. A full-stack developer takes care of the steps from conception of an idea to actual finished product. Many big companies are hiring full-stack developers to meet their project demands.
Also, it would be a wise decision to opt for Full stack development as a career. It won’t be just learning various technologies but experiencing how to work on real projects.
This blog post covered the basics of Full Stack Development. If we have missed out on something, then your views are most welcome in the comments below.
Hanna FrenkFebruary 13, 2018 at 10:02 am
Thank you for sharing. Keep it up.
Steve PetersonMarch 21, 2018 at 6:59 am
All the full stack engineers in the country are looking for new platforms where they can have access to more than one technology for better UX, Full stack development offers these services with ease & powerful coding standards. Your shared information describes all these aspects properly.
vijayaApril 17, 2018 at 6:07 am
Nice Information About Full-stack Web Development
Hemant KumarMay 2, 2018 at 6:01 pm
This post is written very nicely and easy to understand the people who want to know about this topic, this post is very helpful to me.
Praveen RastogiAugust 25, 2018 at 12:42 pm
Nice article thanks for sharing.