Looking at the present scenario of the virtual world, there has been a growing demand of full stack developers. You might be wondering why a company or organization would require a full stack developer. Well, with the transient technology and ever growing hunger for new and better things, organizations like to hire full stack development professionals.
What is a Full Stack Development professional?
A full stack development professional is the one who is having a sound technical knowledge of each and every aspect of development – front end, back end, various operating systems among other details of the technology. These people are usually termed as “developer generalists”. The significant thing to be noted here is that full stack developer should not be confused with senior developers.
In nutshell, this stack of developers can create any complex application from the scratch, provided they would have understood how each technical layer should interact with the other.
Why Full Stack Development?
At the beginning of this post, we have mentioned about a query that had instantly popped in the mind – why would a company require full stack development professional. Here’s the answer:
1. Creation of unique code
The developer or the agency would be able to create a unique code for multiple technologies; as they could work with various kinds of software tools that are complex as well as simple. This would give an extra edge to the company or organization opting for full stack development.
2. Multiple technologies for wonderful user experience
A full stack development professional would be proficient in innumerous programs like JS, HTML, PHP, CSS etc. among many others. H/she would be proficient to work with all these programs and incorporate well into the site design. It would be an ad-on to the capabilities of the full stack developer, if h/she knows how to work with animation and graphics. Some professionals would also be able to convert complex Photoshop designs to front end code. This will reduce the dependency of the organization on various technical professionals, thereby, enhancing their business efficiency.
What are the basic requirements to be a full stack developer?
- To create and use APIs
- To write backend code in Ruby, Python/ Java, PHP
- To know about working with infrastructure including hardware and OS
- Solve and understand queries related to databases
- Manage Project and coordinate with the Client
Technologies that a Full Stack Developer must know:
1. HTML/ CSS
- The first thing to be learnt in becoming web developer is HTML and CSS. These are the basic building blocks to design and develop websites. It enables you to add content and styles to your project site.
- It is a very popular technology in which is unveiling innovations quite frequently. Every year some new tools and frameworks get released. Hence, strong knowledge of JS would be an added advantage. Also, knowledge of JS frameworks like Angular JS and React JS; and jQuery would allow the full stack developers to write long codes easily.
3. Programming languages:
- After strengthening frontend concepts, try gaining a strong foothold in backend languages like Java, PHP, .Net etc. This will allow you to handle logic required for building application, user authentication, and other operations for data management. Whichever language is chosen, ensure to be thorough with all its nuances.
4. Storage and Database:
- After learning the programming languages, learn a database management language such as My SQL/MS SQL. Gain knowledge about how to connect a backend language to database. Also, this will make you aware how to store cookies, sessions, and cached data.
5. REST API and HTTP
- Understand about various protocols such as HTTP, which facilitates communication between client and server. Moreover, one of the significant trending terms – RESTful web services must also be known to you. REST provides interoperability between computer and internet. It would be an ad – on if the knowledge of Chrome DevTools and SSL certificates is also acquired.
6. Learning Architecture details:
- A full stack web application developer must know the architecture of a web application. It would allow him/her to figure out the structure of the code, the type of data that needs to be structured, where and how to perform sundry computational tasks. This would help in developing complex applications.
7. Version control or Debugging:
- A version control system is a component of software configuration management, which allows you to manage the changes that you make in the documents, computer programs, large websites etc. The changes are usually identified by a number of letter codes such as ‘revision level or number’. It requires a Full Stack Developer to be well versed with version control system. Further, understanding of GIT will help you in tracking the changes made to codebase.
Full Stack Web Development is an ushering technology gradually unfolding new innovations. Concisely, this process involves three layers – Presentation, Business Logic and Database. A full stack developer takes care of the steps from conception of idea to actual finished product. Many big companies are hiring full stack developers to meet their project demands.
Also, it would be a wise decision to opt for Full stack development as a career. It won’t be just learning various technologies, but experiencing how to work on real projects.
This blog post covered the basics about Full Stack Development. If we have missed out on something, then your views are most welcome in the comments below.