Today we are happy to announce that we have released the Beta version of our “Convert Classic To Gutenberg Blocks” script. It is right now in public beta phase and we welcome contributions from the community.
Gutenberg is the new block editor for WordPress. It was merged to WordPress core with the release of WordPress 5.2 in March 2019. Since the official launch of Gutenberg, at Multidots we have worked on several projects for Gutenberg.
It is a great idea to switch to Gutenberg Editor. But, when you switch to Gutenberg, the content of classic editor will not be editable with the new Editor. To make it work, it is required to convert your content to Gutenberg compatible block. That is the problem we are trying to solve with “Convert Classic Editor to Gutenberg Blocks” script.
As of now, we have developed the script as a WordPress plugin. You can test the script on a single page/post by installing the plugin on your WordPress install. The following HTML Tags are supported in this Plugin. These HTML tags will be converted from Classic to Gutenberg.
|Supported Tags ✔️|
|<pre>||<blockquote>||<style>||<script>||Many more to come..|
How to Use
- Download, install & activate a required plugin, Multipurpose Gutenberg Block from here.
- Download, install & activate GB Script Plugin from here.
- Activating these 2 plugins will enable a new button “Convert to Gutenberg Blocks” at the top of editor screen for every Post or Page. Go to the post/page with classic editor content and click on this button.
- A new clone of post/page will be created as a draft and converted into the Gutenberg Blocks.
- If you like the new draft, just copy and use the title and slug from the Original post to the new Gutenberg post and delete the original post. You can now publish your new Gutenberg post.
More updates Coming soon:
We are planning to add support to more HTML tags by improving the script. Some of the features we are planning to add are as below:
- Bulk conversion of page and post from Classic to Gutenberg
- Support to more frequently used HTML tags
- Detailed report and analytics
We hope “Convert Classic To Gutenberg Blocks” script will be helpful to automatically convert the pages in Gutenberg compatible blocks. We highly appreciate Bug reports and any other contributions. Please refer this guide for more information about how to get involved.